Well, hello there! Welcome to the newest edition of "Waiter, there's something in my..."!
We're (that's co-hosts Cook Sister!, SpittoonExtra and myself) taking a bit of a summer break as well, giving you some well-deserved rest, and only ask for your submissions well into the month of August... This time, we're looking for picnic recipes, anything that transports well, can be prepared in advance and doesn't need (much) preparation on the spot - this could be a salad, a cake, a terrine, a stuffed bread, a bento box, even a drink... the possibilities are endless!
When I chose the theme for this round, I was buried under my pathology books, dreaming of a hot summer spent in a wooden cabin in the lovely countryside in Austria - little did I know that I would have to brave torrential downpours day in day out and actually have the fireplace going most of the day... so, all of you in the Southern hemisphere who think that the theme is not for them, one pour soul is suffering the same fate! But really, I've even had "picnics" on skiing holidays before, there's nothing like a luke-warm goulash soup from a thermos flask - so be creative!
Here are the rules:
- Create picnic fare (prepared in advance, transportable) - and yes, you actually have to make your own, only contributing a bag of chips is NOT acceptable.
- Blog about it any time between now and the 18th of August 2008
- Send the permalink, name of creation, name of blog and your name and location to
- Please make sure that I can easily grab a picture of your creation from your blog (if you use flickr or similar, please send me an image)
- The round-up will be posted before the 25th of August.
In other news, I have decided not to throw in the towel and continue blogging... I was doubtful whether I could combine the demands of my family with studying and blogging (or even cooking proper meals for that matter) but will have some help from September, so a regular service on thepassionatecook shall resume then at the very latest. I hope you haven't despaired with me and will continue enjoying the blog.
Some ideas for picnic food at thepassionatecook:
Fig, parma ham & camembert piegata (September 2007)
Red pepper, aubergine & scamorza terrine (January 2008)
Mousse of smoked trout (September 2004)
Salad of potato, smoked trout & cucumber (June 2004)
"More than Waldorf" salad (June 2004)
Roast vegetable quiche (September 2004)